On the Second Saturday of March through November between 8-10 am, trained citizens collect water samples from their neighborhood streams in the Lower Little Miami Watershed and transport them to area coolers or the lab. You can choose your own site or we’ll suggest one. Samples are transported to our Greenacres Water Quality Education Center by a Volunteer Runner where volunteers under supervision process them for nutrients, sediment, and bacteria using Standard Methods approved by US EPA. Conductivity, pH, Turbidity, Optical Brighteners and Invivo Chlor A, Total phosphate, Nitrate-Nitrogen and E. coli/Total Coliforms.
On Sunday the E.coli/ Total Coliform colonies are counted. This data is entered into spreadsheets and shared on the SSS website at www.saturdaystreamsnapshot.com. If problems are discovered we share our information with local water resource professionals.
Come join the fun! New volunteers are always welcome. We also offer community service hours.
SSS Sampling Events:
New Volunteer Training Saturdays 9:30 – 10:00 at 6040 Price Road, Milford, OH 45150.
Volunteer Water Samplers collect samples and put them in area coolers Saturdays before 10:30 am or bring them to the Water Quality Education Center by 12 Noon. Sample Drop Off Locations:
1) Greenacres Main Office, 8255 Spooky Hollow Rd, Cincinnati, OH 45242
2) Izaak Walton League Lodge, 544 Branch Hill – Loveland Road, Loveland, OH 45140 – on front porch
3) Little Miami Treatment Plant (Drive across from Ritter – Hagee Optometrists, 2529 W US Highway 22 and 3 # 22-3 Maineville, OH 45039)
4) Little Miami Conservancy Offices, 209 Railroad Ave, Loveland, OH 45140 – to right of rear door on deck.
5) Camp Dennison Park on Route 126 – in the yellow shelter by the soccer fields
6) Anderson Township Municipal Center on Beechmont Road – behind the Main Building at the picnic table near the former Hollywood Video Parking Lot
Volunteer Lab Analysists process samples Saturdays at 6040 Price Road, Milford, OH 45150 from 10:30 am to approximately 2:30 pm depending on the number of samples. A light lunch is served at 12 Noon for Volunteer Lab Analysts.